Welcome to the University of Mississippi’s National Board Candidate Support Program,The World Class Teaching Program
We are here to help you with your certification journey and answer any questions that you have. To get started, follow the steps below.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited Institution
NOTE: Candidates registering for the Career and Technical Education certificate are required to hold a bachelor’s degree only if their state required one for their current license.
- Completed three years of successful teaching in one or more schools? Note: Time spent on an alternate route certificate counts.
- Hold a valid state teaching license
- Additional Prerequisite for World Language: Candidates must obtain American Council on Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Speaking and Writing Proficiency Certificates with a rating at or above the required level.
III. Financial Incentives
- Mississippi teachers that successfully certify as a National Board Certified Teacher receive an additional $6,000 stipend as long as their certificate is current.
- Teachers in 13 counties receive an additional $4000 stipend, which totals an additional $10,000 stipend as long as their certificate is current and they remain in one of the 13 identified counties.
Counties include: Adams, Amite, Bolviar, Claiborne, Coahoma, Issaquena, Jefferson, Leflore, Quitman, Sharkey, Sunflower, Washington, and Wilkinson. (See House Bill 207)
- The state of Mississippi will reimburse ALL first time candidates after they have completed the components. Candidates must submit a score report to MDE.
- Teachers may Pay as You Go!
- Scholarships and additional available assistance
IV. Registering for National Boards
National Registration, Creating an Account, Purchasing Components
- Continuing candidates must register with the National Board AND the World Class Teaching Program every year they participate
- If you are a new candidate, and you did not participate in a Summer Workshop, all that you need to know is embedded in our WCTP 601 course.
- The National Board recognizes candidates only by their given first name meaning the WCTP will be unable to “locate” you if you submit documents using your middle name or a nickname. For this reason, please, make sure you include your first name on all submitted documentation.
V. Join the World Class Teaching Program for FREE Candidate Support.
* You can only participate in one World Class Teaching Program *
Registration is as Easy as 1, 2, 3.
1. Register for National Boards, pay your $75 annual nonrefundable registration fee, and release to 3rd Party(National Board data base, system used for state reimbursement and scholarship allocation)
2. Complete the application for membership in the World Class Teaching Program at Ole Miss (This is free and open to all MS teachers). Our application is a fillable form online. Please, visit
3. Email email@example.com confirming you have completed the steps above, and you will be enrolled in our WCTP 601, online candidate support course, which is step-by-step and self-paced.
VI. Once you have completed the steps identified above and the WCTP receives your application, you will receive an email with login information for the WCTP 601 Course and/or placed in a mentoring group.
WCTP 601: Preparing for National Board Certification
Course Description: Candidates will work through a series of modules, complete tasks and assignments, and submit work to a certified NBCT for feedback.
The World Class Teaching Program at the University of Mississippi is excited to share with its candidates a NEW candidate resource. All WCTP candidates will be placed in the WCTP 601 Self-paced Blackboard Course. This course is for two types of candidates.
Traditional, Face-to-Face Candidates – This will serve as a supplement resource that should answer most if not all of your questions about what to do. Mentors will also have access to this course. This course will be used throughout your certification journey.
Long distance Candidates – Where you live no longer matters! You can now receive candidate support through the WCTP 601. Long distance candidates will be paired with an electronic mentor. As you work your way through the components, you will submit specific assignments to an assigned mentor. The mentor will complete specific feedback forms and return it to you with high quality feedback.
Who is Eligible? University of Mississippi, World Class Teaching Program National Board Candidates welcomes any Mississippi educator. (This may eventually be extended nationally)
Mentoring starts in September and goes until May.
Once enrolled in the WCTP, a mentor will contact you in the fall.
* Mississippi has six candidate support sites housed throughout the state at various universities.