Get Certified: Step 3 – Incentives
- Students learn more. A decade of research shows that students of Board-certified teachers learn more than their peers without Board-certified teachers. Studies have also found that the positive impact of having a Board-certified teacher is even greater for minority and low-income students.
- Teachers improve their practice. Board Certification allows teachers to hone their practice, showcase their talent in the classroom and demonstrate their dedication to their students and their profession.
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence. Schools with National Board Certified Teachers are characterized by better teacher morale and retention and increased community involvement. Districts and schools that want to drive student learning recognize the power of Board certification and are taking steps to empower and raise the status of accomplished teachers.
- Mississippi teachers that successfully certify as a National Board Certified Teacher receive an additional $6,000 stipend as long as their certificate is current.
- Teachers in 13 counties receive an additional $4000 stipend, which totals an additional $10,000 stipend as long as their certificate is current and they remain in one of the 13 identified counties.
Counties include: Adams, Amite, Bolviar, Claiborne, Coahoma, Issaquena, Jefferson, Leflore, Quitman, Sharkey, Sunflower, Washington, and Wilkinson. (See House Bill 207)
- The state of Mississippi will reimburse ALL first time candidates after they have completed the components. Candidates must submit a score report to MDE.
- Retire benefits increase. Mississippi teachers’ retirement is based on the average of their highest (PERS Member Handbook, ..your projected monthly unreduced base benefit based on your current four highest years of salary)
- Teachers may Pay as You Go!
- Scholarships and additional available assistance